Monday, February 20, 2017

UFO #1 On List - Precious Moments Nativity - Completed!

💕💗💕I have achieved the first completion on the sidebar list of UFOS and WIPS that I've decided to give some attention to.  Yesterday I took the final stitches in the outlining and it is DONE!
YIPPEE!
 
This little counted cross-stitch nativity was started in the early 1980s, I am guessing maybe 1985.  The way I know how to date it is from the light pinkish stain on the left side in the background.  When that little accident occurred I did the best I could to remove the stain and then I don't remember doing much stitching on it after that.
 
The stain isn't showing up much in the above photo although I can pick out a wee bit.
 

I see a few places that are stained in this photo.
 
How the stain got there:
 
Back somewhere around 1986, I was in the car with my then DIL and grandson.  She was driving and we were sitting at a stand-still on an exit ramp at St. Louis because of a traffic holdup of some kind.  My grandson was maybe two years old, or less, and he dropped his juice box -- it fell onto floorboard of the car, right on top of my stitchery project that I'd been working on as we rode along.
 
The stain was bright at that time and I thought it had ruined the nativity but later I decided that it was a forever memory of that time spent with my little grandson.  Over the years the stain has faded and is now so light it's hardly noticeable.
 
I'm not sure how I'm going to use it.  I possibly will frame it and put it on the wall, or I might make a little pillow with it.  Undecided at the moment.
 
Rich
 
This photo above is that little grandson.  He's all grown up and is a wonderful man and I'm SO proud of him!
And that's the rest of the story.

4 comments:

  1. That was interesting, Connie. I'm sure it was a big deal (in your thoughts anyway) when it first happened. I'm a former x-stitcher, too and would love to finish some of my WIPs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you soak this piece in warm mildly soapy water with a Shout Color Catcher sheet, that stain might come out. It's a very sweet handstitch and worth the try. Let me know of it works. I've done this with good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool story. Congrats on finishing some ufo's!

    ReplyDelete