Thursday, February 16, 2017

Memories of a Sudsy Nature

Welcome, Peeps!  How are you today?  I was sitting here at lunch time, drinking a Diet Pepsi and eating a turkey sandwich, and for no particular reason, I turned on the TV to check out what was on.  I don't normally watch daytime TV, so it's rarely on before our evening meal.



As I was flipping channels, I recognized the faces of "Julie" and "Doug" on DAYS OF OUR LIVES, a soap opera I watched decades ago.  In fact, I watched it from it's inception in November, 1965, until sometime in the 1970s.  Well, I hung around and watched the entirety of the program to see if I recognized any other characters.  I got to thinking about other soaps and I did some sleuthing on the 'Net and came up with this list of soaps that I had watched, back in the day::

As The World Turns
Another World
Dark Shadows
Days of Our Lives
The Doctors
General Hospital
Never Too Young (starred Tony Dow and Tommy Rettig)
One Life to Live
Paradise Bay  (starred Marion Ross who was "Mrs. C" on Happy Days)
The Young Marrieds  (starred Charles Grodin, Lee Meriwether, Brenda Benet)
All My Children
The Young and the Restless
Additionally, I watched Peyton Place, a nighttime soap in the 1960s.

Back then, when the time came that my interest began to dwindle, and the lame story lines were too silly much of the time, I gave up all of my soaps cold turkey.  For a while I missed seeing the people who had become like friends and family (ha ha) but I moved on well enough.  Yet, still today I felt a flash of nostalgia for almost an hour. 

I wish there was a well-written, well-acted, and well-produced daily daytime drama series every afternoon around the time I need a little coffee break.  If there was, I'd watch it.  How about you?  Were you (or are you still) a soap opera fan?

Thanks for your visit today.  Be well and enjoy your time, wherever you are.
And be sure to tune in again for the next episode!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Connie i found you through Rag Tag Stitchin,i used to watch the soaps many many years ago and i can remember Doug and Julie,you have a lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Connie. I am guilty of watching a few local ones but I never seemed to be home for the others. Looking forward to popping in again x

    ReplyDelete