Monday, November 21, 2016

Learning How To Machine Quilt

Well, just when you thought I'd given up entirely with blogging, I'm back. 
Again.  
I know.  I know.
You're probably doing an eye roll or shaking your head.
Or both.
😏
 
If you've been a reader of my previous blog(s), you know that I had another one recently but it didn't last long.  For the past few years I had pretty much lost interest in my various crafts and blogging.  For no known reason, my interest in both has sparked and I'm back and ready to get busy.
 
Last night I was watching a YouTube quilting video and a thought hit me out of the blue.  Immediately, I went to the closet to get this quilt top and began ripping out the seams that join the blocks together.

This is a quilt top that I made from the blocks of my
International Siggie Block Swap
that I hosted on a blog back in 2009.
 
I ripped these blocks apart last night.

This one is an oops.
I accidentally ripped part of the block's seams.
Never mind, I'll fix it.

For a few days I've been trying to learn how to quilt on my domestic sewing machine.  Oh my goodness, do I have the utmost respect for quilters who use a domestic machine.  Compared to quilting on a longarm, I think it is more difficult.  The first day I thought I would never be able to learn how but every day I get a bit more comfortable with it.  I have a long way to go but I am not giving up.  Determination!  Yes, ma'am!  Since I no longer have a longarm, and I can't hand quilt anymore due to arthritis, this is my plan for completing my quilts.
 
Once I feel ready, I'm going to finish each block with the Quilt As You Go (or QAYG) method.  I'll machine quilt each block separately, joining the top, batting, and backing with my quilting stitches, then when all blocks are completed, I will join blocks into rows, and rows into a quilt top.  There are many videos that teach how this is done.  I can't hardly wait to begin!
 
Changing the subject, can you believe that Thanksgiving is this week?  It seems like this fall has slipped by in warp speed.  Mercy sakes!
 
I'll be back soon with more posts.  I have so much in my head to write and share here.  I hope you'll stick around!  'Till next time, have a great day!  xo xo xo





No comments:

Post a Comment